National Service Scheme (NSS)
National Service Scheme (NSS) was launched by the Union Education Minister Dr. V.K.R.V. Rao during the Mahatma
Gandhi’s Centenary Year 24th September, 1969, involving student volunteers in different universities with primary focus
on the development of personality of students through community service.
NSS Unit P.D. Hinduja College of Nursing Established in 2008 headed by President Prof. Jaya Kuruvilla
co-ordinated by Programme officer Mrs. Siman Xavier with the strength of 30 volunteers. At present,
NSS Volunteer strength is 60
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
Classification of Activities
Activities conducted are of mainly two types
- Campus Work
- Institutional work
- Rural Project
- Urban Projects
- National Days Celebrations
- National Programmes
- Tree Plantation & maintenance of village streets, so as to keep the environment clean.
- Health, Family Welfare and Nutrition Programme
- Programmes aimed at creating an awareness for improvement of the status of women
- Social Service Programmes
- Education and Recreations
Every year student gets additional 10 marks in final year after completion of 240 hours in two consecutive years and 7 days of Special camp.
Every year college send proposal for Indira Gandhi NSS Award: Best NSS Unit, Best NSS Programme officer and Best NSS Volunteer
NSS Committee members
- Prof. Dr. Jaya Kuruvilla
NSS Programme Officer
- Ms. Seema Samudre
NSS Asst. Programme Officers
- Asso. Prof. Siman Xavier, Ms. Pranali Sawant
Final Year Basic BSc Nursing
- Ms. Poomthraserry Janet Joseph
- Ms. Rency Mathew
Third Year Basic BSc Nursing
- Ms. Sonawane Neha Shantilal
- Ms. Dincy George
Second Year Basic BSc Nursing
- Ms. Basutkar Shraddha Vijay
- Ms. Roselyn Varghese
NSS Report 2020-21
Name of the College: - P.D. Hinduja Hospital, College of Nursing
Strength of Volunteers
- Allotted strength – 60
- Enrolled strength – 60 (Female)
- Name: Ms. Seema Samudre. DOA: 1/8/2016
- Training Status: Trained – (02/09/2013 – 08/09/2013)
Name of adopted Village / Slum
- Parol – Dist. Thane
- Uttan – Dist. Thane
- Dattatekadi - Jogeshwari
- Dates of special camp – 08/12/2019-14/12/2019
- No. of persons attending special camp – 30 (females)
- No. of teachers attending special camp – 03
- Under five children camp – November 2019
Area Covered – Uttan Bhyanadar
No. of beneficiaries – 30 Balwadi childrens
- Geriatric Camp: January 2019
Area Covered : Uttan Community
No. of beneficiaries – Approximately 60 geriatric community people
- Adolescent Health camp: February 2020
Area Covered : Uttan Bhyander
No. of beneficiaries –80 Adolescent Girls & Boys
- World Cancer Day celebration 05/02/2019, Street play on Warning signs, Preventative measures of cancer, at Uttan community and health post.
- World HIV/AIDS Day: sensitizing session on HIV/AIDS its prevention and management for Housekeeping staff of P. D. Hinduja college of Nursing.
- International Women's Day Celebration based on theme, "I am generation equality", to sensitize the women on gender equality, and to empower women through education session at Good Shepherd Convent, NGO Versova.
- World Breastfeeding Week Celebration: NSS Volunteers participated in the breastfeeding workshop. NSS volunteers sensitized about the importance of breastfeeding and recent trends and technological innovation in breastfeeding.
- Street Play : Prevention & Management of HIV/AIDS – December 2019
Area Covered – Uttan community
- Exhibition: Balanced Diet – December 2019
Area Covered: Uttan community
- Rally: Women Empowerment - December 2019
- Independence day – 15th August 2019
- International Yoga Day 21st June 2019
- Republic day- 26th January 2020
- Gandhi Jayanti celebration: 2nd October 2019, NSS Volunteers conducted flash mob on Say No to Plastic at Juhu Beach.
- WALL MURAL PAINTING: NSS volunteers used their artistic skills in capturing the community members attention towards saving the environment and reducing pollution, prohibiting use of plastics and encouraging girl child's education.
- Cleanliness drive, Vidhayak Sansad Parol
- NSS Orientation: was organized for 1st year Basic BSc Nursing Students. NSS Programme Officer briefed the students about NSS, its objectives, mission and responsibilities of NSS volunteers.
Special Camp Report (2019-20)
Placement: Tilher village, Vidhayak Sansad, Parol, Dist. Thane.
Period: 8th December- 14th December 2019
The NSS Team of college of Nursing conducted 7 days NSS Special camp in adopted village Tilher, Vidhayak Sansad, Parol, Dist. Thane.
A formal inauguration was carried by NSS Team to orient all 30 NSS Volunteers to the NSS special camp programme. NSS volunteers introduced to the objectives and activities of this camp that is personality development and social service.
Following activities conducted by NSS Volunteers during this special camp:
Yoga & meditation:
For physical development, NSS volunteers had yoga and meditation session every day early morning for 30 Minutes. ROM exercise, body stretching exercise, yoga postures and 10 minutes meditation were included in this session.
Haldi Kumkum programme:
NSS Volunteers organized Haldi Kumkum program for the women at Parol Village. As an incentive the NSS Volunteers provided the women with a comb and til laddus. The volunteers also conducted an interactive session on Iron rich Diet for the women.
Exhibition on Balanced Diet:
A balanced diet is a diet that contains differing kinds of foods in certain quantities and proportions so that the requirement for calories, proteins, minerals, vitamins and alternative nutrients is adequate. The people who live in rural community are not about balanced diet, and the importance of its inclusion in daily diet Hence the NSS volunteers also conducted an exhibition on balanced diet and sample menu plan was also explained to the villagers.
Rally on Women empowerment:
Women's empowerment is all about equipping and allowing women to make life-determining decisions through the different problems in society. To strengthen this aspects of women's development the NSS volunteer conducted the Rally on Women's Empowerment.
Street play on Prevention of HIV & AIDS:
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is a virus that attacks cells that help the body fight infection, making a person more vulnerable to other infections and diseases. It is spread by contact with certain bodily fluids of a person with HIV, most commonly during unprotected sex (sex without a condom or HIV medicine to prevent or treat HIV), or through sharing injection drug equipment. To sensitize the community members the NSS volunteers performed a street play depicting the various ways of contracting the infection including the prevention and treatment aspects of it were covered.
Wall Mural Painting:
As a part of Community Awareness Program the NSS volunteers used their artistic skills in capturing the community members attention towards saving the environment and reducing pollution, prohibiting use of plastics and encouraging girl child's education through Wall Mural Painting.
To understand rural health care delivery system and rural local self -government following visit were organized for the NSS volunteers:
- Gram Panchayat
- Primary Health Centre, Parol
- Sub Centre, Tilher
- Rural Hospital, Virar
- Water Purification Plant
- Biogas Plant
- Vermiculture compost
- Solar energy Plant
Thus, the camp ended with sense of satisfaction, developed attitude towards sense of responsibility and scope of betterment.